Made With Love - Peanut Butter Fudge

Made With Love is a column dedicated to first time cooking experiments. I love to cook and put my own spin on old standby recipes. Join me as I document the triumphs and failures of my culinary adventures.

Fudge... What an odd name for such a delectable treat. Fudge. It's a strange word to say. Nevertheless, the flavors and varieties are seemingly endless and yet, fudge is something I've only made a handful of times when I was a very young child... in the kitchen with my mom mixing up treats for the holidays... such sweet memories.


Shane has a thing for peanut butter fudge... something I've never attempted. I was somewhat taken aback when recipe after recipe I pulled from the net suggested mixing peanut butter and some sort of sugar in a bowl and microwaving until smooth, then refrigerating. It seemed so wrong. So unsophisticated. So so lacking of class. This is FUDGE after all! It must be dense yet soft, sweet yet flavorful... something I just don't think a microwave can do.

I pulled what I loved from a variety of recipes and went to town... actually I went to my kitchen but you get the idea.

First I melted butter:

Then I added brown sugar:

And evaporated milk:

Boiled it up good... wondering how long I should boil it... then added peanut butter and vanilla:

When that was all mixed up smooth, in went the powdered sugar:

At this point I'm realizing I should have mixed the sugar in a little at a time:

When the mixture was smooth, I poured it into a wax paper lined pan:

Let it cool in the refrigerator and then plopped it out onto a cutting board and removed the wax paper:

Chopped it up into squares and said yummmm:

Lessons Learned:
  • Put the powdered sugar in a little at a time, duh.
  • Do not lick the spoon straight out of the pot, duh and ouch.
  • SO glad I used the wax paper - It would have been near impossible to get it out of the pan with out it.

Recipe:

1 stick butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar

Melt the butter, add the brown sugar and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil stirring regularly. When the brown sugar looks to be completely dissolved reduce the temperature and add in peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add in powdered sugar. Stir until completely incorporated. Pour into 9x9 pan lined with wax paper and refrigerate. When cool work wax paper away from pan and set fudge onto cutting board. Remove wax paper from fudge. Chop fudge into squares and enjoy.

No comments: