Made With Love - Rustic Apple Orange Fritters

Made With Love is a column dedicated to first time cooking experiments.  I love to cook and put my own spin on old standby recipes.  Join me as I document the triumphs and failures of my culinary adventures.


I was sitting at my desk today and a thought struck me upside the head (that happens more often than not I'm afraid). I wanted to make a yummy treat for some special people in my life and apple fritters were just the ticket.

Here's the thing.  I've never made an apple fritter.  I've never made any kind of fritter.  I can probably count the number of times I've fried foods in deep oil on one hand and leave 2 fingers off.  But, I'm also not one to back down from a self-imposed challenge so I started researching how to make fritters.

Here's another thing... as much as I love to cook and bake I'm terrible at following directions.  I read tons of recipes, get the general idea of how it's done and then go about doing it my own way.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's always fun that way.

A quick trip to the store for a few ingredients and I was ready to make these babies.

First I mixed up my dry ingredients:
 2 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar - I used regular sugar but I think the chunky raw sugar would be extra tasty
2 tsp baking powder
2+ish tsp cinnamon - I like cinnamon so I am a bit generous here
1/2 tsp ish salt - Not a big salt fan in baking... but I know it's needed so I toss a little in just so I don't feel like a complete rebel

 Next it's the wet ingredients.... in a separate bowl of course

2 eggs beat
3/4 cup whole milk
2+ ish tsp vanilla - again, I like vanilla so I go a little extra
zest of 1 small orange
2 Tbsp butter melted and cooled uh...
 Not sure what happened to my butter - maybe I let it cool too long. It turned into a chunky mess even after vigorous whisking.  I was a bit concerned at this point.

 No matter!  Dump it into the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.

Then...


 Then...
 At this point I was thinking two apples was too much... but I forged on.

I do not have an oil thermometer so I dropped bits of batter into the oil until they floated and sizzled almost instantly upon putting them in the oil.  The first several bits of batter sunk to the bottom of the pot and hung out there until I scooped them out.
 After awhile the oil got hot enough and I was able to start dropping scoops in.  Four seemed to be my magic number for this pot and my newbie abilities.  Everything I read said to time each one for 2 1/2 - 3 mins.  Yeah, that didn't work for me.  I found that if I put two in and waited for them to flip over and then put another two in, by the time the second two flipped over the first two were ready to come out.  Worked pretty well.

Drained and cooling a bit

A dunk in the glaze (powdered sugar, milk, juice of 1 small orange, vanilla)

Letting the glaze set

Ready to package up for delivery tomorrow morning.

Lessons learned:


  • Frying foods is fun! 
  • Need a longer handled slotted spoon if I plan to do much frying.
  • Even though it looked like a lot of apple, the fritters puff up so much they could actually handle more.
  • They could also handle more orange... Next time I think I'll add juice to the batter in addition to the zest.
  • The oil got hotter as I went, had to keep adjusting the temp down as the fritters were browning too fast... I was worried they would be raw in the middle (so of course I had to test one... or two)
  • Make sure I have planned people to give the fried food to so I don't eat it all.
PS - The next morning they were DELICIOUS! However, next time I will skip the glaze as it soaked in and made the exterior a tad soft and wet feeling.  Plus, I think they are sweet enough without the glaze.... especially good for dunking in your favorite hot morning drink!

PPS - I found a couple with the centers not as done as I'd like.  Still yummy but I believe my oil was a tad  hot so the exteriors browned too fast.

No comments: